bulldozer = 'bucket loader' (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Nov 5 17:49:19 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> The biggest difference [in bulldozer and front end loader] besides the
wheels is that the loader is
> designed to dig and load, while the bulldozer is designed for
levelling
> and clearing.

Bulldozer has a vertical blade, which can push, but cannot lift, piles
of dirt.

Loader has a scoop on arms which can scoot under a pile of dirt, lift
it, and dump it.

Crews around my building have been referring to one of these:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YA8owrdilFU/Tc1_ryJ5HmI/AAAAAAAAACE/ez-Mc3E9aB
U/s1600/7.jpg

as a "Lull".  It turns out that Lull is a manufacturer of heavy
equipment:
http://www.jlg.com/jlgcolor/files/jlg-lull-telehandler-lineup.pdf

(and these machines are more often seen with forks, for lifting pallets,
etc., than they are with buckets).