whollop; prevent

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 12 17:50:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> "_whollopped_"

IMO, this is a pronunciation-spelling that escaped the notice of the
writer's internal spell-check. I haven't yet had occasion to put this
word to active use. But, when I do, I'll use a pronunciation that is
poorly represented by

[hwal at p]

but which is fairly well represented by the spelling under
consideration. Some speakers use [w] in place of traditional [hw];
others use [hw] in place of traditional [w], e.g. _wither_ [hwID at r].

"Turn-about is fair play."

--
-Wilson
-----