Fwd: Oosik in the news

Sissy SoFunk sissy.sofunk at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 16 01:08:55 UTC 2012

Here's the latest:

Hi Sissy,
Here's what I've found - the word (or variants of it) is found in Inuktitut
and Yupik dialects -  I've included the dictionary sources as well:

Inuktitut (Inuit)
>From *Ulirnaisigntiit: An Inuktitut-English Dictionary of Northern Quebec,
Labrador and Eastern Arctic Dialects*, by Lucien Schneider
*usuk* (plural -*it*)
1) male genital organ and most particularly the penis
2) said likewise of things in one way or another that remind one of it,
whether vaguely or more exactly (tongue of a trap, spout of a teapot, etc.)

>From *Inuktitut: a Multi-Dialectal Outline Dictionary (with an
Aivilingmiutaq Base) - *by Alex Spalding and Thomas Kusugaq
*usuk* (plural -*it*) - penis
*usuaq* - penis of a caribou or walrus or horse; also a large male caribou.

>From *Inuinnaqtun-English Dictionary *- by Gwen Angulalik
*uhuk* *- *penis
My note: this dictionary is representative of Inuit in western Nunavut

Inuktitut (Inuvialuit)
>From *Siglit Inuvialuit Uqausiita Kipuktirutait: Basic Siglit Inuvialuit
Eskimo Dictionary - *by Ronald Lowe and the Committee for Orignal Peoples
Entitlement
*usuk *- penis

Inuktitut (Uummarmiut)
>From *Uummarmiut Uqalungiha Mumikhitchirutingit: Basic Uummarmiut Eskimo
Dictionary* *- *by Ronald Lowe and the Committee for Orignal Peoples
Entitlement
*uhuk* - penis

Yupik (Inupiat)
>From *Inupiat Eskimo Dictionary* - by Donald H. Webster and Wilfred Zibell
*Usuk, usruk* - penis

My note: I'm uncertain as to whether Inupiat dialects belong to the Yupik
or Inuktitut language groups, I`ve placed it with Yupik more based on my
understanding of its prevalence of being spoken in Alaska (sorry,
linguistics isn't my strong set).

As for the carvings themselves - we have no polar bear penis bone carvings
in our collection, I haven`t been able to find evidence of them in others.
Walrus penis bone carvings exist aplenty, either carved or scrimshawed.
Aiviq usuk would be a transliteration of walrus penis in Inuktitut.  Hope
this is helpful.