Dictionary collection (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Nov 30 15:34:04 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I don't know if any of the lexicographers on this list are also
bibliophiles, but this link may be of interest:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20475/

Lots 1125, 1126 and 1134 are slang dictionaries.

I knew Tom Rodgers from his sponsorship of the Gathering for Gardner, a
biennial conference in Atlanta devoted to the interests of Martin
Gardner (former Mathematical Games columnist for Scientific American):
recreational mathematics, puzzles, and conjuring.  As part of the
conference Tom would host a reception at his house.  It's hard to have
200 people over, so some of us would always end up in his garage. He had
converted it to a library for his dictionary collection, with moving
shelves to accommodate them all.  My own interests were more on the
conjuring side, so I never really talked with Tom about his
dictionaries.  But it was clear that he had built a formidable
collection.  And now seeing descriptions of the various lots (and this
auction is only a small part of the whole collection) shows just what a
library he had built.

I'm not a member of any of the dictionary/lexicography listservs.  If
this isn't already common knowledge on them, feel free to cross post
this to them.