"feeding frenzy"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 5 21:42:06 UTC 2012

I've come across, for the first time IME, an example of "feeding
frenzy" used WRT a single individual:

"Occasionally, a star wanders too close to a _black hole_ and that’s
when a _feeding frenzy_ begins.”

I'm accustomed only to the classical use, as in these ones from 1856:

"It resembles a _feeding frenzy_, with oil attracting _men_ as blood
attracts _sharks_."

and from 2004:

"The carcass of a dead whale attracted a _feeding frenzy_ of hungry _sharks_."

But, as usual, I'm late to the ball; from 2008:

"The _shark_ is in a _feeding frenzy_."

And the author isn't even writing metaphorically!

Youneverknow.

"Language-change happens," to coin a phrase.

BTW, I *don't* claim that this shift occurred between 2004 and 2008. I
just googled for some random, pre-October-5-2012 examples.

I've also heard

"I'm relatable to that"

used by BE-speakers to mean

"I can relate to that."