another reversal??

Damien Hall damien.hall at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Tue Oct 9 09:19:39 UTC 2012

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS

> On Being Different, the book Miller adapted from that essay.

This felt strange to me too, and having read down the thread I think I know why.  It isn't exactly the reason given by Victor, Alice and Geoff, I don't think, though it may be related.

I don't think 'my' syntax for _adapt_ allows it to go into this frame with this meaning.  Since what is meant is that Miller wrote a book called _On Being Different_ which was an adaptation / expansion of an essay, I would have to say

_On Being Different_, the book into which Miller adapted that essay.

We know of course that you should never say Never in this kind of thing - but I don't think that I could use _adapt A from B_ to mean 'make A out of B', except perhaps very informally / marginally.

Damien

--

Damien Hall
Newcastle University (UK)