Puritan euphemisms

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 24 17:15:58 UTC 2012

The first play written by an American was apparently William Darby's "Ye
Bare and ye Cubb" (1665).  There were a few others later.  Thomas Godfrey's
"The Prince of Parthia" (1767) was the first to be professionally produced.

The best known early American play is Royall Tyler's comedy "The Contrast"
(1787). It contains some dialect, but - as linguistic history decrees - its
snappy colloquialisms (if any) now seem boring, stilted, and amateurishly
employed.

Romantic writers like Hawthorne rarely tried to replicate actual speech
except for its presumed comic effect. (Cooper's Tom Coffin in "The Pilot"
(1823) is a good example: in a real way, language alone "speaks" such
characters.) The neo-Classicists of the 18th C. tried to sound sober and
precise, while`the Romantics strove for emotion linked to form.  Why write
like people talk? That would just be silly, and probably injurious to the
language of tomorrow.

JL