"gay" redux

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 30 12:19:55 UTC 2012

WB: Gay 1936. Jack Benny radio show, 1936-11-22, episode 36, “Buck Benny
Rides Again”.
<<<Don Wilson:  Tell me, Jack, what’s the cause of your exhilaration and
sparkling effervescence?
Jack Benny:  Well, I … uh… What is that, Don?
Don Wilson:  I say what’s the cause of your exhilaration and sparkling
effervescence?
Jack Benny:  I don’t …
Don Wilson:  Well, what motivates the sudden display of exuberance?
Jack Benny:  Well, I… uh…
Don Wilson:  In other words, Jack, what makes you so gay?
Jack Benny:  Oh, I was hoping we’d get together. (Tepid laughter from
audience.) Well, Don, you know how tired I’ve been the last couple of weeks
so I went down to Palm Springs for a rest and it did me a lot of good. …>>>
WB: In this context, it seems the audience did not catch the pun. It
probably slipped passed the censors, since it would have been a joke for
Hollywood insiders.