"gay" redux

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 30 12:40:41 UTC 2012

> for Hollywood insiders.

Yeah, they know everything past, present, and future.  Clever how they used
Benny and Rochester as their dupes, too!  Wait a minute...

But seriously, if the tepid laughers in the audience knew that gay meant
homosexual, that would mean that a measurable proportion of Americans in
1936 knew that gay meant homosexual. They were most likely laughing because
"gay" is such a plain term in contrast with "exhilaration and sparkiling
effervescence." Also because they knew you're supposed to laugh at the
third item in an ostensibly humorous series.

Despite the existence of a seemingly unequivocal 1933 ex. in HDAS (from a
sub rosa publication read by few), which makes the question of "gay" in
_Bringing up Baby_ less crucial, the sense doesn't become prominent in
print till the late '60s - even though homosexuality was widely and openly
discussed after the appearance of the Kinsey Report on the "Human Male"
(i.e., mostly white, middle-class, American college guys) twenty years
earlier.

JL