FW: Paul Asch, leader of the original San Francisco jazz orchestra?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Apr 10 20:04:53 UTC 2013

Barry Popik sent me the message below, and I now forward it to ads-l.  Can anyone perhaps add to it?

Gerald Cohen
From: Barry Popik [bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:04 AM
To: Cohen, Gerald Leonard
Cc: lrpjazz at gmail.com; bgzimmer at gmail.com
Subject: Paul Asch, leader of the original San Francisco jazz orchestra?

FWIW, I was in the very comprehensive but I-can't sort-by-date Old
Fulton NY Post Cards database, now at over 21 millions pages. This
might be interesting for the origins of "jazz" music in San Francisco:
http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
1918 (no date on page), Variety, pg. 8, col. 2:
Paul Asch, leader of the original San Francisco "jazz orchestra,"
enlisted in the Marines last week and joined the band at Mare Island.
There's not much on Paul Asch except for this, from GenealogyBank.com: