"When the going gets tough, …"

Fri Apr 12 17:41:10 UTC 2013

The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs compiled by Charles Clay Doyle,
Wolfgang Mieder, and Fred R. Shapiro and the Yale Book of Quotations
have an excellent cite in May 4, 1954 (as noted by Charlie and Ben).

Here is an interesting earlier version of the motto that does not
quite conform to the antimetabole pattern.

[ref] 1951 July 26, The Courier (Brookfield Courier), (Freestanding
unattributed statement), Quote Page 8, Column 7, Brookfield, New York.
[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
When the going gets tough the tough keep going.
[End excerpt]

Garson