Exposed!: Famous ungrammatical quotes!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 24 18:39:33 UTC 2013

On Apr 24, 2013, at 1:52 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Yes, we have discussed it.  And I demonstrated (or did I merely
> claim, and was dismissed as pretentious?) that FDR was
> grammatical.  So please don't trot it out as a mistake (or is it just
> being presented as an instance of controversy?), but rather as a
> correct and educated use.

In the context, it is indeed a mistake, or rather a "mistake", to the same extent as #2 (beginning a sentence with a conjunction) or #4 (ending one with a preposition), i.e. a violation of of an arbitrary and irrational edict that (or which) was never really followed but has nevertheless been insisted on by a significant group of "authorities".  What I trotted out FDR's line as was a nice example of, as Harbeck puts it, a "grammatical superstition".

LH