Exposed!: Famous ungrammatical quotes!

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 25 03:43:11 UTC 2013

One slight quibble with the "9 famous quotes..." piece.  On the "split
infinitive," Harbeck attributes the mythical prohibition to an 18th c.
grammarian.  David Mulroy points out in his *War against Grammar *(Heinemann
2003)* *that after an extensive search he could find no reference to a rule
against splitting infinitives before the mid 1860s.

Herb