"Joker"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 25 22:12:21 UTC 2013

Not sure about Tamerlan, but Timur is a fairly common Russian name as
well as name used in North Caucasian region (both Christian and Muslim
groups) and in Central Asia. Timur is less associated with Tamerlane
than with a popular book by an author who wrote a number of books for
children (I would estimate for 8-13 year olds, but that's only a rough
estimate). I just checked Wiki and they credit him with "Timur
movement"  among "pioneers". He was covering the front as a war
correspondent, got caught with the troops in an encirclement, joined the
partisans and soon died in combat. (or so we are told) Of course, he
named his son Timur (not sure if it was before or after the book, but
likely the son was the inspiration for the book).

     VS-)