In re St. Louis English

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Apr 27 15:25:08 UTC 2013

As I think I (and probably others) have previously mentioned, "far-ist" is also part of my native New Yorkese (now variably unlcarned), but not "farty-far".  I wonder if it's /Or/~/ar/ in open syllable environments (orange, moral, corridor) but not closed ones (forty, four, York) or if there's more to it.

LH