"should/ would" opinions please

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 29 16:44:28 UTC 2013

The author of the grumpy _Write it Right_ (1909), the largely self-educated
Bierce was notably reactionary as a stylist and grammarian. One critic,
IIRC, implies that he was an eighteenth-century writer trapped in the
nineteenth and early twentieth.

I raised the question because the sentence concludes Bierce's essay and is
therefore unusually significant. It's hard for me to imagine  the average
American of today, or even of fifty years ago, understanding, without some
serious reflective consideration, what Bierce actually meant .

JL