"should/ would" opinions please

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Apr 29 17:09:08 UTC 2013

At 4/29/2013 12:44 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The author of the grumpy _Write it Right_ (1909), the largely self-educated
>Bierce was notably reactionary as a stylist and grammarian. One critic,
>IIRC, implies that he was an eighteenth-century writer trapped in the
>nineteenth and early twentieth.
>
>I raised the question because the sentence concludes Bierce's essay and is
>therefore unusually significant. It's hard for me to imagine  the average
>American of today, or even of fifty years ago, understanding, without some
>serious reflective consideration, what Bierce actually meant .

1)  I sometimes feel like an average, but coffee-house-habituating,
newspaper-reading, American of 250 years ago.
2)  When I return to the 21st century, I find it hard to understand
the reactionaries of today, let alone Bierce (but in my 18th-century
cloak, I think I can make him out -- at least in the passage in
question -- mostly.)

Joel