Another "nearly" from the wrong side

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 29 18:24:51 UTC 2013

I would argue the word 'nearly' doesn't suggest "a scalar position below or
before X(ing, but the context does. There is no wrong side of new -- it's
new or it's not. Similarly, there is no wrong side of 21 -- you're either
21 and over, or you're not. You've either started or you haven't.

In a context with two true sides, like the original example of 'nearly
half', I am suggesting that 'nearly' means 'not exactly', and that can be
above or below.

DanG