Another "nearly" from the wrong side

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 29 19:05:10 UTC 2013

On Aug 29, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> I would argue the word 'nearly' doesn't suggest "a scalar position below or
> before X(ing, but the context does.

I suspect, based on some informal empirical surveys I've done in connection with working on approximatives, that there's too much variation on this to make the case that what "nearly" means for you is what it means (for everyone).   Let's stick with numbers: the problem is that there's an asymmetry based on the fact that numbers form a scale.  If I say I'm 21, I can be speaking the truth in many contexts even if I'm (well) over 21, but not if I'm under 21 (even though sometimes we might let it go as an approximation if I'm 19 or 20, while still conceding that it's strictly false).    So it's not obviously the case that you're either 21 or you aren't.  If I say she's not 18, this can be used depending on the context to convey that she isn't exactly 18 or that she's 17 or less. (It can't convey that she's 19 or more.)  Since "nearly X" can be understood as entailing 'not X' as well as 'close to X', it can be used in these two different ways:  'not exactly X' and 'less than but!
  close to X'.  If it only had the first meaning all the time, we'd predict that "She's nearly 21" would sound as natural for 22 or 23 year olds as it does for 19 or 20 year olds, and for most speakers (not just Joel and me) it simply doesn't.

LH

P.S.  And this isn't a matter of 21 conveying adulthood.  Other numbers will do as well, so if I said I'm nearly 70 most people would probably guess (correctly) that I'm in my late 60s, but probably not, ceteris paribus, that I'm 71 or 72.