truffle is ....

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 10 01:04:22 UTC 2013

On Dec 9, 2013, at 5:58 PM, George Thompson wrote:

> But when I did an advanced search for the headword "truffle" as a verb, as
> described, I got the response
> No exact results found for truffle in the dictionary.
>

> What gives?
>

> GAT

Well, when I just do a search on "truffle", there are two pointers, one to the noun, the other reading:

2. ˈtruffle in truffle, n. View full entry 1958

...(intr.) to hunt or root about for truffles; freq. fig….

Clicking on the second "truffle" leads directly to the draft addi(c)tion  entry, of which my favorite cite is the last:

1991   Observer 4 Aug. 17/6   Swedes almost truffle for grief and inevitably find it.

One of the four examples is (almost) literal (pigs truffling for acorns), the others figurative, with the trufflees ranging from ephemera in New York, errors in texts, or as we see grief among Swedes.

LH