"The stroll"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 26 16:18:38 UTC 2013

Joel is right. HDAS has "stroll," n. (in print) only from the '50s or '60s.

Earlier nominal usage (and not very frequent in print) was the more or less
standard "beat," though the 1796 ex. is an unusually valuable early one for
the idiomatic phrase, _on the stroll,_ 'seeking customers as a
streetwalker.'

JL