"[grand?] foquet", 1793, not in OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 26 19:36:53 UTC 2013

An interesting path to follow.  Wikipedia says "Jean (or Jehan)
Fouquet" was "the apparent inventor of the portrait miniature," and
his self-portrait is "The earliest portrait miniature, and possibly
the earliest formal self-portrait" [presumably meaning extant].

Although he is 15th century, a bit removed from the 1790s, I suppose
he might have become the eponym of an optical device that allowed an
artist to enlarge a miniature or (small) object into an image on a
("grand") paintable surface.  (The quotation says "The grand foquet
raises the human countenance, or any other object from the size of
miniature to that of life and reflects it with all its tints and
shades on canvass ...".  I am hypothesizing what that meant.)

In any case, I have no alternative to offer.

Joel