Q: "Crossword" needs another definition in the OED?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Feb 7 17:56:29 UTC 2013

Dan's comment will require further research, but it suggests that the
OED needs to add another definition for the word "cross-word".

As Dan says, St. Nicholas magazine uses the word "cross-word" to
refer to clues in puzzles.  I think those puzzles were then (and
probably still are) called "acrostics".  (For such puzzles, the OED
has under "acrostic" an 1861 quotation.)  But St. Nicholas does not,
I think, refer to filling-in-the-grid puzzles.

The OED has for "cross-word" only the meaning "crossword puzzle"; it
seems to need another for "clues used in acrostic (or other types of
word) puzzles".  Perhaps this is limited to the hyphenated form.

Joel