antedating "donkey"

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Feb 18 00:17:53 UTC 2013

Although I don't have time at the moment to investigate this in detail, I believe this is part of a sporadic sound change that caught a number of /oHn/ words, including Montreal, Moncton and perhaps some others. Margaret says [d^nki] (she and Larry share the same geographic origins) so this may be somewhat regional as well. I have a reference on sound-spelling correspondences, but it's at my office or I could dig further into this.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program