Heard: "loci" with [k]

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 23 02:48:06 UTC 2013

Post-Reformation Protestant and especially Lutheran theologians.  Part of
our readings in Latin were 16th and 17th c. Lutheran writers.  Their
general approach was heavily Scholastic, which is what Spener and other
Pietists reacted strongly against.  Probably the best example of this was
Johann Gerhardt's Loci Communes Theologici (1610-1622).  Following the
German tradition of Church Latin pronunciation, <c> before a front vowel is
pronounced /ts/.

Herb