"famous, infamous"

Wed Feb 27 14:20:19 UTC 2013

 Tom Bell wasn't the only famous rogue with a Harvard connection then --
though this rogue wasn't a near-alum.

   [A]t the Court of Assize and general Goal Delivery held at *Charles*[*
town*] . . . on Thursday last, was tried the [famou]s *Jabez Allen,* alias *
Mead*, for Horse-stealing. . . .  This notorious Offender, tho' [??] a very
good Chance to be Hanged, yet was exceeding merry [and jo]cose as he went
from *Cambridge* Goal to *Charlestown.*  He found [???] Fault with the
Officers for not providing him a better Horse, [saying], that he had always
been used to ride on a good Horse.  Peo[ple co]uld not believe it was *he*,
seeing him upon so sorry a Beast: [???] he passed by the College, observing
a Number of the Students [???] at him, he gave them the following scrap of
Doggrel.

     *Cambridge* is a famous Town,

          for Wisdom and for Knowledge,

     Some they whip, and some they hang,

          and some they send to College.
     Boston Ev Post, February 9, 1741, p. 2, col. ?

GAT

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> Jon and Larry must not be familiar with Tom Bell, a confidence man of
> the mid-18th century.  From the Boston Weekly Post-Boy, 1743 Aug. 22, 3/1:
>
> -----
> Portsmouth, New-Hampshire, August 19.
>     Notice hereby is given, to the Publick to be upon their Guard,
> for in all probability, the famous, or rather infamous Tom Bell is
> upon the Line: A Person exactly answering his Character (had from
> many Places) has this Week broke open a Chest, and carried off
> considerable Moneys and Goods of value from several Persons, ... He
> is very shy in telling his Name ... The Catchpole is after him; and
> if he can haply lay his ample Hand up his Shoulder, his Body
> obsequious to the touch, will be convey'd to our inchanted Castle,
> Francis Tucker Commandant: The above Chap is very grave & serious,
> has a ready invention, with good Elocution [he spent three years at
> Harvard before being expelled for theft and lying]; and he has ('tis
> tho't) already deceived many here.
> -----
>
> Bell's "fame" was due to his being written about in a hundred stories
> in colonial newspapers from 1738 to 1755, thus probably being second
> only to George Whitefield, the itinerant preacher, as the most widely
> known individual in English America before the revolutionary
> generation.  His "infamy" can be inferred.
>
> -----
>
> P.S.  For fiercely competitive antedaters, "upon the line" dates back to
> a1616.
>
> Joel
>
> At 2/26/2013 04:14 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
>> > But I can't remember actually seeing a conjunction of this kind before.
>>
>> Me neither. It's also noteworthy that "infamy" has not been diluted (any
>> more than "gaiety" has been sexualized).
>>
>> It may be, though, that in the nonliterary world, both are now felt to be
>> little archaic..
>>
>> JL
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>> > -----------------------
>> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> > Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>> > Subject:      Re: infamous = 'talked-about; popular'

>> -------------------

>> proscribed
>> sort of

>> > and then again, we can have two for the price of one:
>> >

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/**02/26/sports/ncaabasketball/a-**
>> fresh-five-push-michigan-into-**the-ncaa-title-picture.html<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/sports/ncaabasketball/a-fresh-five-push-michigan-into-the-ncaa-title-picture.html>
>> >
>> > About the five freshman currently playing (but not all starting, or
>> > starring) who bring "flair, a little extra cool" to the U. of Michigan's
>> > men's basketball team:

> [...]

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.