Negrophobia: pswaydo [and not so] -interdating(s)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jan 6 16:09:35 UTC 2013

I don't find the title "Studies in Negrophobia" either.  But then I
didn't find Arthur Dimmesdale's Election Sermon of 1649 at the Salem
Athenaeum library either.

However, Harvard has 5 books with "Negrophobia" in their titles and
another 2 with it in chapter titles.  (The earliest is 1869 --
"Negrophobia "on the brain," in white men : or, An essay upon the
origin and progress, both mental and physical, of the Negro race, and
the use to be made of him by the politicians in the United States,"
by Dr. J. R. Hayes; 35 pp.)

And the OED's latest (Sept. 2003) earliest instance is 1819:
1819   Niles' Reg. 16 Suppl. 173/2   The gentleman from Kentucky..has
charged us..with being under the influence of negrophobia.

Another and perhaps useful interdating because it provides a
definition of sorts from the Deep South:

"Negrophobia is the new name given to those who are unfortunately
possessed with the disease of abolition."

The Daily Picayune [Times-Picayune; New Orleans], 1839 March 10, 2/2. [EAN]

  Interdates OED Sept. 2003, "Negrophobia", 1819 -- 1859.

Joel