Calinky (slang for "Carolina")

Tue Jan 8 23:19:21 UTC 2013

Bonnie: James A. Michener uses North Calinky and South Calinky in his
1974 bestseller Centennial as you already know. The novel traces the
history of Colorado over a long period. You presented excerpts from
Centennial that are visible in the ADS archive. Do you know the period
during which Michener's fictional characters used the terms?

Michener reportedly performed extensive reading/research to support
his writing. He may have come across the terms North Calinky and South
Calinky while preparing to write Centennial. Have you ever attempted
to contact the people who control the James Michener Collection? Maybe
they would be helpful.

http://library.unco.edu/archives/michenercollection.htm

[Begin excerpt]
The James A. Michener Collection was created in 1978 when Michener
donated thirty-seven linear feet of his papers to the University of
Northern Colorado. The papers were primarily related to his novel
Centennial, published in 1974. Shortly before his death in 1997, James
Michener designated the University of Northern Colorado the home of
the bulk of his writing and publishing legacy.
[End excerpt]

Garson