Earliest Known Occurrence of the Term "Hot Dog" Pushed Back to, 1886, (Corrected Citation)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Jan 24 13:56:50 UTC 2013

On 1/24/13 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:17:03 -0600
> From:    Julia Graney<jcgraney at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Re: Earliest Known Occurrence of the Term "Hot Dog" Pushed Back to
>           1886, (Corrected Citation)
>
> doesn't "wiener" refer to Vienna?  German for viennoise? =20
Yes, exactly. So why the author equates it with "little", when he gets
it right for "wurst" which indicates some knowledge of German, is what
I'm wondering about. I'm wondering if there's a) some wordplay based on
the English "wee" ("little") or b) if there's been some semantic shift
of some sort.

---Amy West