Q: Meaning of "cut" below

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jul 2 01:11:51 UTC 2013

Thanks, Garson.  I was not thoughtful enough to try this common
alternate spelling (or too reliant on Silverman's faithfulness to
Mather's original spelling!).

Unfortunately, the Diary entry does not provide me any more insight
into the meaning of "cutt" than does Silverman's book, which does a
good job of explaining Mather's disagreement with Stoddard.

So I'm still looking for help in understanding the meaning of "cutt"
here (or more accurately, which sense from the OED to apply).  The
notion is that since the government (the "civil Magistrate[s]") of
Massachusetts by law had no power over church governance, any
"Decrees" of provincial synods (a Presbyterian notion of church
governance) could have no power of enforcement in Massachusetts, and
would likely be ignored by the jealously self-governed Congregational
churches.  Thus "their Decrees will signify little, except they have
a civil Magistrate, that will make them cutt" is something like
"their Decrees will have little effect unless there is a civil
government (civil laws) that can enforce them."  What sense of "cut,
v." (or, perhaps, "cut, adj.") is this?

Joel