One trick pony

Wed Jul 10 20:45:05 UTC 2013

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary traces "one-trick pony" to
1980. (OED has a solid cite in 1950.)

Title: Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
Edition: Eleventh
Year: 2004
Page: 867
(Google Books Preview)

http://books.google.com/books?id=TAnheeIPcAEC&q=%22trick+pony%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
one-trick pony n (1980) : one that is skilled in only one area; also :
one that has success only once
[End excerpt]

American Slang suggests that the slang expression emerged in the 1990s.

Title: American Slang
Edition: Fourth
Editors: Barbara Ann Kipfer, Robert L. Chapman
Year: 2008
Page: 356
(Google Books Preview)

[Begin Excerpt]
one-trick pony n phr A person having a single accomplishment : As he
proved during exquisite ballads and mid-tempo tunes, he's no one-trick
pony/ For years, Twentieth Century Fund has been known to investors as
a one-trick pony (1990s+)
[End excerpt]

The Historical Dictionary of American Slang has no entry under "one".
The terms "trick" and "pony" are too late in the alphabet for
publication in Volumes I or II.. Maybe JL has something in his files.

The OED entry mentioned both "one trick pony" and "one trick horse".
Here is an instance of "one trick horse" in 1882. Once again this
phrase is potentially ambiguous. I hypothesize that "one" is modifying
"trick horse", i.e. the phrase refers to a single horse able to
perform tricks.

The context is a comparison between the impressive circus of Barnum
and other less impressive shows. The emphasis is on the disparity in
the number of animals.