Quote: Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart (Evidence in 1875)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 18 19:28:12 UTC 2013

I've heard slightly different versions attributed to Churchill and
Bernard Shaw, among others. Something like, "A man who is not liberal
in his youth has no heart. One who is not conservative in his old age
has no brain."

This is an approximate recollection, but I can vouch for one of the
attributions (I never thought either of them to be accurate, but could
not find much solid evidence with that wording). I picked up the quote
from some volume with attribution to Churchill. When I posed the
question, someone suggested it was Shaw. Don't recall where or when
this happened, but it was within the last decade.

VS-)