Repartee: "I'm writing a book." "Neither am I." (attrib Peter Cook 1984)

Sun Jul 28 19:26:22 UTC 2013

Nigel Rees provided me with additional information about the Peter
Cook attributed quotation. The October 2001, Volume 10, Number 4 issue
of the "Quote Unquote Newsletter" published by Nigel contains an entry
on this topic. (This newsletter issue is available in Kindle format
from Amazon in a compilation covering the years 1997-2001.)

The relevant cartoon by Barry Fantoni was published in Private Eye on
December 15, 1972. A reproduction of the cartoon appears in the Kindle
newsletter compilation. As noted in my previous message Barry Fantoni
(writing in the Guardian UK shortly after the death of Peter Cook)
credited Peter Cook with the caption.

[Begin excerpt from Quote Unquote Newsletter of October 2001]
While Cook was still alive, this was quoted on the radio show by
Richard Ingrams (his colleague on Private Eye Magazine) in 1984. In
the next year, Penny Vincenzi told me that Cook had told her it was
not original to him.  Brian Robinson then stumbled across this cartoon
in the Eye (15 December 1972), where one bookish type is saying to
another, ‘I’m writing a book’ and gets the reply, ‘Neither am I.’
[End excerpt]

Nigel in his email to me said the following:

[Begin excerpt]
As a curious coincidence, only yesterday I was reading a copy of Quips
and Quotes (2012) by Richard Ingrams in which he definitively states
that the idea for the Barry Fantoni cartoon was from Peter Cook
(though as you will see from the above he apparently disclaimed
credit).
[End excerpt]

Garson