Repartee: "I'm writing a book." "Neither am I." (attrib Peter Cook 1984)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 28 19:43:24 UTC 2013

Whether Cook got it from the French or not, this seems to be a classic
example of "folk joke" being attributed to a comedian who uses it in a
semi-public forum. This is a particularly common phenomenon in Eastern
Europe, where distancing oneself from jokes or incorporating someone
else's jokes into one's own repertoire has long been accepted practice
and a defensive mechanism against repressive censorship regimes. I have
some relatives in humor/satire writing and the satirists  tend to borrow
shamelessly from each other, particularly in retelling unpublished
jokes. Cook's own disclaimer of authorship should be taken very
seriously. I would identify such attribution as "re-telling" with author
unknown. The vector can be as important as the author, but we should not
recognize them as being the same.

     VS-)