False facts on Visual Thesaurus

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Jul 30 22:07:37 UTC 2013

By subscription, my column at Visual Thesaurus on "false facts" (and true ones, too):
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/dictionary/true-facts-and-false-facts/

From the column, a 1688 attestation of "false fact":

Or, suppose the Judges were corrupt; and directed false Law, or false Fact, or overawed the Jury; or admitted a Party to be a Witness, or Juror (as in Effect it was); That was enough to render the Verdict corrupt….

Also a discussion of an entry in the alt.usage.english FAQ, which argues that "false fact" is no more contradictory than "false teeth". My rebuttal: unlike "fake", "false" has a different meaning when applied to nouns denoting a proposition. E.g. a false claim is not something that appears to be a claim but is really a question or command; it's a claim denoting a proposition that is false.

Neal

Begin forwarded message: