coulda woulda shoulda

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 1 14:45:39 UTC 2013

"Would have" now appears to the be the conversationally preferred for
"had." I hear it constantly and, if you're talking about people under
forty, virtually without exception.

This has been increasing for years. In my own experience, perhaps thirty or
more.

My SWAG is that it started partly as a phonetic misunderstanding: "If I'd
have..." > "If I would have." This then begins to replace "If I'd..."

But Arnold is undoubtedly the expert.

 JL