coulda woulda shoulda

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 1 15:11:07 UTC 2013

On Mar 1, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> "Would have" now appears to the be the conversationally preferred for
> "had." I hear it constantly and, if you're talking about people under
> forty, virtually without exception.
>
> This has been increasing for years. In my own experience, perhaps thirty or
> more.
>
> My SWAG is that it started partly as a phonetic misunderstanding: "If I'd
> have..." > "If I would have." This then begins to replace "If I'd..."
>
> But Arnold is undoubtedly the expert.
>
> JL

He is indeed and can no doubt confirm the extent of the recency effect operating here; I'm sure it's been around for at least decades, but whether or not it's currently increasing I'm not sure.  I'm not sure I see the reanalysis, though--what could "if I would have..." be a phonetic misunderstanding of?  What else would "If I'd have…"  It's not like "If I had have seen it" is a likely source, and while "If I'd had it" is fine, that's main verb _have_.

LH