"Look a (gift) horse in the mouth"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 10 18:46:56 UTC 2013

These seem to be horses of a different color. The whole point of looking
a horse in the mouth is precisely to determine its age/health. You don't
look a gift horse in the mouth (also exists in other languages, although
sometimes--e.g., in Russian--with "teeth" for "mouth") because it's
impolite. So the first expression should certainly predate the second
logically, although, of course, they may well have coexisted from the start.

     VS-)