"Look a (gift) horse in the mouth"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 10 19:17:39 UTC 2013

Am I the only one (not brought up on a farm) to associate this adage (incorrectly, it appears) with the Trojan horse, the one that popularized "Danaos timeo et dona ferentur" if I remember my Virgil--Wilson will correct me if not--i.e. 'Beware of Greeks (even) bearing gifts'?  It seemed like the Trojans *should* have looked their gift horse in the mouth (at least far down enough to see all those Greek soldiers), which made it all a bit confusing.

LH