"Look a (gift) horse in the mouth"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Mar 10 19:31:26 UTC 2013

Really?  Doesn't one also look a gift horse in
the mouth to determine what it's worth -- its
age, health?  See "gift-horse" under "horse" in
the OED.  "21.   gift horse n. (earlier given
horse) a horse bestowed as a gift. to look a gift
(†given) horse in the mouth , to criticize and find fault with a gift."

Where, however, I find a form of the expression
back to 1546 -- I missed it earlier because it's
a "geuen horse".  ("Gift horse" remains with Samuel B., at 1663.)

Re Larry's comment about Troy, I was thinking
only of renderings in English.  Unless he can
find a translation of Homer that dates before 1663.

Joel