Joke: I'm looking here because the light is better (1932)

Fri May 3 20:36:51 UTC 2013

Some earlier citations for this anecdote-allegory have been located
and the QI entry has been updated. The earliest cite (known to me) is
now in 1924.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/04/11/better-light/

On May 24, 1924 a Massachusetts newspaper printed an instance with a
Boston setting. A police officer saw a man on his hands and knees
“groping about” around midnight and asked him about his unusual
behavior:

[ref] 1924 May 24, Boston Herald, Whiting’s Column: Tammany Has
Learned That This Is No Time for Political Bosses, Quote Page 2,
Column 1, Boston, Massachusetts. (GenealogyBank) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
    “I lost a $2 bill down on Atlantic avenue,” said the man.
    “What’s that?” asked the puzzled officer. “You lost a $2 bill on
Atlantic avenue? Then why are you hunting around here in Copley
square?”
    “Because,” said the man as he turned away and continued his hunt
on his hands and knees, “the light’s better up here.”
[End excerpt]

Garson