Antedating of "Guard" (Basketball) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon May 13 17:54:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:46:23AM -0500, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> I did a number of similar sports antedatings here:
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0501A&L=ADS-L&P=R5490&
> I=-3&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches
>
> (which, BTW, never seemed to have gotten to the OED files) in which I
> took this sense of guard from 1905 to 1897.

Bill, just wanted to note that these quotes all seem to be in our files.
It just seems that none of them are for entries that have been revised
yet, so your antedatings are sitting in our files but not yet displayed
in the published entries.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED