strawl

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 18 18:16:35 UTC 2013

I have heard speakers, not just in the South, add "dark /l/" at the end of
words after the vowel /aw/.  I've even heard it before suffixes as in
"drawling" for "drawing."  Phonologically, I think it's the interpretation
of the /U/ quality of final /l/, what linguists call velarization, the
raising of the back of the tongue towards the soft palate.  But why this
happens after a low vowel like /aw/ isn't clear.

Herb