strawl

Sat May 18 18:33:40 UTC 2013

Aren't a lot of the realizations of the vowel in straw(l) actually (and secondarily) diphthongal in a great deal of the South, like [DU] (where [D] = a low back rounded vowel), and, according to John Wells, Southerners often have a true velar lateral without alveolar contact, if not a completely vocalized /l/.  Given these two things, intrusive /l/ makes perfect sense.

Also, cf. Bristolian intrusive /l/, for which this British city--originally Bristow-- is famous.  A lot of people from Bristol settled the US, especially in the far North and far South....

Paul Johnston