"all the ADJ-er"

Thu May 30 05:49:03 UTC 2013

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
> Did we have a thread on these once?  I'm not sure what to look it up
> under, although I suspect it's been discussed here and/or on Language Log
> or someone's blog (Arnold? Neal?)   I have the feeling that it's Midlands,
> but that could be wrong too.

See the June '05 thread on "all the faster":

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0506D&L=ADS-L#2
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0506E&L=ADS-L#2

DARE identifies "all the far" (in the entry for "all the") as chiefly
Southern/South Midland and "all the farther" as chiefly Inland
North/North Midland.

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> I once cited a lexicon published an issue of the journal of the ADS - I'm
> blocking on the name of it - from the '20's that listed words and phrases
> from the area around the former Alabama Polytechnic Institute in Auburn.

That would be "A Word-List from East Alabama" by Leonidas Warren
Payne, a 1908 installment of Dialect Notes:

http://books.google.com/books?id=waAVAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA286

which Wilson brought to our attention here:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1007E&L=ADS-L&P=R1970

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer