"all the ADJ-er"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 30 19:26:43 UTC 2013

In addition to Ben's very helpful pointers, one of my colleagues at YGDP (the Yale Grammatical Diversity Project, where we'll be constructing a page for these) mentioned these two sources that mention the comparative version as part of Midland English (while concentrating more on need/want/like + PPL and similar constructions):

Murray, Thomas E. & Beth Lee Simon. 2006. What is dialect? Revisiting the Midland. In Thomas E. Murray & Beth Lee Simon (eds.), Language variation and change in the American Midland: A new look at “heartland” English (Varieties of English around the World G36), 1-30. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Benson, Erica.  2012. Need+ Prepositional Adverb in the Midland: Another Feature Needs In. Journal of English Linguistics 40: 224-55.

LH