"parachute", 1793, interdates OED3 1784--1796; "falling screen" not in OED

Sun Nov 10 19:39:08 UTC 2013

Jonathan Lighter wrote
> I can't find the precise words but unless I'm crazy, a twentieth-century
> author of the existentialist-absurdist school (if there is one) once
> insisted that "Obedience to the law of gravity is the greatest crime of
> all."

Here is a thematically related quotation from the noted philosopher
Homer Simpson:
In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxHkAQRQUQ

Garson