Quote: Supposed Lincoln quote traces to Alphonse Karr - help with French requested

Fri Nov 15 20:24:43 UTC 2013

Here is a popular quotation attributed to Abraham Lincoln about
optimism and pessimism that I have been asked to investigate:

We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because
thorn bushes have roses.

The Lincoln connection appears to be spurious. I have attempted to
trace the central concept of the saying instead of tracing the precise
phrasing or syntax. Here is a conceptual match in 1882, I think:

[ref] 1882 July 22, The Christian Life: A Unitarian Journal, Volume 8,
Number 323, Notes of the Week: Home and Abroad, Start Page 345, Quote
Page 346, Column 1, London, UK. (Google Books full view) link [/ref]

http://books.google.com/books?id=y5ksAAAAYAAJ&q=%22putting+thorns%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
"Some people," says Alphonse Karr, "are always finding fault with
Nature for putting thorns on roses; I always thank her for having put
roses on thorns."
[End excerpt]

I attempted to trace the expression further back in French. Here is an
instance by Alphonse Karr in a book published in 1862, I think. Could
someone help me with a translation of the middle section below? This
section is indented in the book.  Also, does the context suggest that
Karr is presenting his own words? (Please follow the link to see the
full context.) Or is he presenting the words of someone else?

Year: 1862
Title: Sur la plage