Quote: Supposed Lincoln quote traces to Alphonse Karr - help with French requested

Sat Nov 16 20:13:53 UTC 2013

Thank you very much for providing further analysis WB, and great
thanks to Wilson for his valuable suggestion for the translation.

Now, I've found an earlier instance of the verse in a work by Alphonse
Karr published in 1853. A different introduction was used for the
verse. Karr seemed to be saying that the verse was anonymous. Here is
an excerpt and a link. To view more of the surrounding text one may
follow the link.

[ref] 1853, Lettres écrites de mon jardin by Alphonse Karr, Quote Page
293, Publisher Michel Lévy Frères, Paris. (Google Books full view)
link [/ref]

http://books.google.com/books?id=np0GAAAAQAAJ&q=%22aient+des%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]

Disons en passant car tout intéresse chez un grand poëte, que la fleur
de prédilection de M. Victor Hugo est ce ravissant petit liseron des
haies blanc et rose qui répand une si délicieuse odeur d'amande amère.
Glissons ici humblement et sournoisement quatre vers à propos des
roses et de leurs épines; l'auteur désire avoir l'air de désirer
garder l'anonyme:

De leur meilleur côté tâchons de voir les choses:
Vous vous plaignez de voir les rosiers épineux;
Moi, je me réjouis et rends grâces aux dieux
  Que les épines aient des roses.
[End excerpt]

Do you think that Karr was stating that the authorship of the verse
was anonymous? The repetition of "désire" and "désirer" seems awkward
or even comical in the Google translation.

Alphonse Karr was given credit in some contemporary works in French
and in the following 1877 collection. The introduction was removed and
the reader was led to credit Karr:

[ref] 1877, L'esprit d'Alphonse Karr: pensées, extraites de ses
oeuvres completes by Alphonse Karr, Quote Page 49, Publisher Calmann
Lévy, Paris. (Google Books full view) link [/ref]

http://books.google.com/books?id=LlkRAQAAIAAJ&q=%22aient+des%22#v=snippet&

With appreciation

Garson