Last Plea for Most Notable Quotations of 2013

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 27 05:57:14 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> I need to get serious about finalizing my annual list, run by the Associated
> Press,  of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By “notable” I mean
> “important”  or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times”
> rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable.  Last year's winner was
> Mitt Romney's quote about the 47 per cent.  Because this is not an election
> year or year-before-election year, the most notable quotations are less obvious,
> which is why I particularly could use help this year.
>
> I would welcome suggestions of notable quotations from 2013, particularly ones
> from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.
>
> Some of the quotations I am already considering for 2013 are:
>
> Pope Francis on "who am I to judge" and focus of Catholic Church on certain issues
[snip]

Pope Francis keeps saying quotable things. From his Apostolic
Exhortation, "Evangelii Gaudium" (The Joy of the Gospel):

"I prefer a church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has
been out on the streets, rather than a church which is unhealthy from
being confined and from clinging to its own security."

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium_en.html

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer